National Collaborative Outreach Programme Week of Action 4-8 June 2018
This week LiNCHigher is participating in events to help around 800 local
young people and their influencers understand higher education options as part
of a nationwide week of action.
In Lincolnshire, young people are less likely to go into higher education than in other areas of the country despite similar GCSE results. LiNCHigher works across Lincolnshire as part of the National Collaborative Outreach Programme (NCOP), funded by the Office for Students (OfS), to change this. It brings together Bishop Grosseteste University and the University of Lincoln with 45 schools, colleges and other local organisations to understand how to best create tailored activities and events that give inspiration, increase aspiration and support young people in years 9-13 to plan their future education.
This week’s events will give these young people an opportunity visit a university campus, participate in motivation workshops, learn new revision techniques and try online tools to help them make decisions about future courses and jobs.
Naomi Prendergast, LiNCHigher Project Manager, said, “It’s really important for the local area and our young people that they are supported to achieve their full potential.
There are some excellent further and higher education institutions in Lincolnshire where young people can gain the skills, experience and knowledge to succeed. The team work in schools and in the community throughout the year to raise aspirations and give young people the tools they need to progress onto higher education.
We understand the importance of teachers, parents and carers in this journey and are committed to supporting them too.”
The NCOP week of action (4 – 8 June) shines a spotlight on the national network of partners and will be accompanied by social media activity as well as events across the country.
For further information, please contact Helen Lee on 01522 585623 or email email@example.com
LiNCHigher is the NCOP for Lincolnshire. Our dedicated project team includes Area Engagement Officers, specifically recruited to work intensively with schools, colleges and community hubs in target wards located near Boston, Grantham, Skegness (and the East Coast), Lincoln, Gainsborough and Spalding: https://linchigher.co.uk
NCOP has been running since 2017. The OfS recently confirmed an extension of funding of £60 million for the 2018-19 academic year as part of its participation objective.
‘National Collaborative Outreach Programme: The first year’ was published by the OfS in March 2018: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/re...
The Office for Students is the new regulator for higher education in England. They aim to ensure that every student, whatever their background, has a fulfilling experience of higher education that enriches their lives and careers.
LiNCHigher events running during the week of action include:
Monday 4 June
· Goal Mapping – Lincoln Christ Hospital School: year 9 (Positively Mad)
· University of Nottingham visit – Lincoln Christ Hospital School: year 10
· Motivation workshop - Barnes Wallis Academy: year 10 (Luke Staton)
· Goal Mapping – The Priory Witham Academy: year 8 (Positively Mad)
· Motivation workshop - Giles Academy: year 10 (Luke Staton)
Tuesday 5 June
· UCAS Workshop – Walton Girls High School: year 12, 13 (Nottingham Trent University)
· Career Investigator – Giles Academy: year 9
· Progress and pathways evening - The Priory Witham Academy: year 12
· Summer school meeting – Bishop Burton College
Wednesday 6 June
· Improving attitudes – Haven High Academy: year 9-10 (First Story)
· Progression evening – Walton Girls High School: year 12
· Exam preparation and motivation workshop – Sir Robert Pattinson Academy: year 12
· Road Hog Bus – Tunnard Street, Boston
· Meeting with Justin Brown, Lincolnshire County Council
Thursday 7 June
· Motivation Workshop - Skegness Grammar School
· Student Voice - Walton Girls High School: year 9-12
· Medical Mentee Induction – Kestevan and Grantham Girls School
· Futures Club – Giles Academy
· Parents Evening – Peele Community College: year 10
· UCAS evening – The Priory City of Lincoln Academy: year 12
Friday 8 June
· Inspirational Speaker morning - Kamal Hyman – Lincoln Christ Hospital School: year 9
· Heads of year meeting – University Academy Holbeach
· 2Engage Performance at Manchester Met University
· Student voice – Lincoln Christ Hospital School: year 9-13
· EMWPREP Steering Group and Meeting – Loughborough University